Dhia Aldoori

Dhia Aldoori
Autumn 2011 in Ohio

Thursday, April 9, 2020

COVID-19: Should I wear a protective mask? Masks for general public?

Question (TK): Hi there, what are your thoughts on the general public buying masks online to wear when shopping or going outside? I know there is a shortage of masks in hospitals, but it seems like there’s a surplus online, so I assume hospitals aren’t buying the ones I am finding. An example:
Amazon Link

Answer (Dhia Aldoori): I think it is a good idea for all to wear masks in public at this time, particularly when you are going to be in a place which may force too close person proximity, and always if you are sick with the possibility  people may come near you (especially  important in a closed environment).
That said, let us (health professionals) have first dibs on the really useful kind, the NIOSH N95 version by 3M which I couldn’t find on Amazon.  
The ones in the link are apparently abundant and will help prevent aerosol projection from a cougher and sneezer, and prevent a person from unconsciously hand-face touching. It won’t protect against incoming viruses. The other kind does, and isn’t currently very available to many caregivers.


1 comment:

  1. Hey Doctor,

    This is Kris. I’m the guy who was obese and on blood pressure pills but after following your advice I’m much healthier and now even doing NATURAL bodybuilding (aka NO STEROIDS).

    I love your posts. How can I ask you a question that you can perhaps answer on this blog?

    ReplyDelete