Dhia Aldoori

Dhia Aldoori
Autumn 2011 in Ohio

Sunday, April 20, 2008

Chapter 1: The Pillars

Opinion: There is only one true human medical science: the science that makes humans healthier. Pocketbooks aren't included.

There are many factors, which have a bearing on the health of a human being. I believe they generally lie within five major categories or pillars. Most are under our control currently but some aren't yet. They are:
• Sleep.
• Good nutrition.
• Sufficient physical activity, or exercise.
• Avoiding harmful substances.
• Heredity and other yet unidentified factors.
All are essential to ensure good health and they interact together. The first four pillars are pretty much under our control. Heredity, and how to influence it seems to be too impractical as of yet. Hopefully advances will be made. In the following chapters I will break each pillar down more to clarify their roles. After the breakdown I will address certain medical conditions and how they come about and how they can be prevented and otherwise reversed completely or at least to a large degree.

2 comments:

  1. I am a 41 yr old male and engage in (what I think) is a fair amount of exercise. After some extra intense workouts, I notice extra soreness in my neck and back muscles. Is it OK to Take an advil (or something similar) to help with the aches? What is your opinion?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Cory,
    First I would like to apologize for my tardiness in answering your question. It slipped through the cracks. That is unforgivable. I apologize again.
    Regarding your question: I would anticipate your soreness to be happening between 12 and 48 hours after your workout. If the soreness lasts more than 2 days from your initial sensing it, I would be worried.
    Another thing to worry about would be the possibility of damaging your muscles by extraordinary intense activity. This may cause a condition called rhabdomyolysis. This is dangerous.
    If you need to take 200-600 mg of ibuprofen (Advil) every once in a while, like a couple of times after working out when you have restarted after a lapse, then that is probably okay. For example when I restart playing soccer, which is once a week in good weather (after the usual long Ohio winter) then the first 3 weeks into the season I will use Advil as above. This does become much less for me after about one month and I don't need the Advil anymore. Do bear in mind though I am 57 so I would want you to suffer less.
    My final piece of advice to you for this situation is the regularity in your intensity of your workouts, increase the intensity slowly, hydrate well with an electrolyte-containing fluid, make sure you have vitamin C on board, sleep your 8 hours, eat healthy and finally avoid harmful substances.
    Disclaimer: The use of Advil should be avoided if there are gastric problems or peptic ulcer disease. Also in kidney disease there would be restrictions to its use. Always clear it with your doctor.
    I hope you forgive me this terrible tardiness on my part in responding.

    ReplyDelete