Dhia Aldoori

Dhia Aldoori
Autumn 2011 in Ohio

Thursday, April 9, 2020

COVID-19: Using Anti-inflammatory Medications

At this time I am of the opinion that avoidance of NSAIDs for flu like symptoms is the way to go [non steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs are like ibuprofen (Advil, Motrin), naproxen (Aleve), diclofenac (Voltaren), meloxicam (Mobic), etc.]. Of course, that is if you even feel inclined to band-aid your symptoms. Barring an allergy or medical condition where it is contraindicated, I would go with acetaminophen (Tylenol). Covid-19: ibuprofen should not be used for managing symptoms, say doctors and scientists.
The theory behind this is that NSAIDs may hinder the natural inflammation cascade of events otherwise needed to fight against viral infections. That said, even acetaminophen, has an antipyretic action which I am not sure I want to impede during this process. I change my stance if there is excessive fever making the patient uncomfortable or symptomatic (e.g. delirious).
I am more a fan of rest, hydrate, good nutrition (beef barley soup rocks) and stay warm. After you do the preceding, hydrate some more. 🙂

1 comment:

  1. Im no expert, but I believe you just made an excellent point. You certainly fully understand what youre speaking about, and I can truly get behind that. maoi prescription

    ReplyDelete