Dhia Aldoori

Dhia Aldoori
Autumn 2011 in Ohio

Sunday, April 29, 2012

Why I'm a Fan of Copper



[Answering M.F.’s questions: What is the importance of taking copper? Should everyone be taking 2mg of this supplement daily, separate from a multivitamin? Or does this apply only to a specific group of individuals? Also, is there an advantage to taking either the citrate or glycinate form in terms of absorption?]

What is the importance of taking copper? Copper is an integral part of numerous enzyme systems, including amine oxidases, ferroxidase (ceruloplasmin), cytochrome-c oxidase, superoxide dismutase, and dopamine hydroxylase. Copper is also a component of ferroprotein, a transport protein involved in the basolateral transfer of iron during absorption from the intestine. As such, copper plays a role in iron metabolism (important for blood formation), melanin synthesis (important for skin color), energy production, neurotransmitter synthesis, and nervous system function; the synthesis and cross-linking of elastin and collagen; and the scavenging of superoxide radicals.[1]

From my viewpoint, the most important aspects are for the insurance of presence of sufficient quantities of copper for the cross linking of elastin and collagen and the dopamine hydroxylase.

The cross linking of elastin and collagen is of immediate importance in the health of bones, joints, tendons, skin and hair among other things. Of paramount importance though is the dopamine hydroxylase. This is because this enzyme is necessary for the hydroxylation of dopamine to noradrenalin which is the precursor to adrenalin.[2] I consider adrenalin to be of supreme importance for health when generated physiologically naturally. Of note here is that vitamin C (ascorbic acid) is a cofactor for the hydroxylation of dopamine to noradrenalin.

Don't take more than the recommended 2-3 mg daily, as at higher levels toxicity may ensue. (More isn't better). 10 mg intake can be dangerous.[1] See table:

Deficiencies and Toxicities of Metals - from Harrison's Online via AccessMedicine

It has been seen that copper did have a positive impact on HDL (the cardioprotective cholesterol) and did lower oxidized LDL values. This last is the type that tends to form the clogging cholesterol within the walls of blood vessels (specifically arteries). The study showing this was somewhat short for my taste and wasn’t consistent in its results but the logical tie-in to the heart protective factors is solid.[3] This study used the glycinate form of copper.

Another study shows that patients suffering from diabetes mellitus have lower levels of copper in their serum compared to control patients.[4] Again the tie-in here is logical.

Should everyone be taking 2mg of this supplement daily, separate from a multivitamin? Individuals whose nutrition is deficient or low in copper intake should take a separate supplement. Dietary sources of copper include shellfish, liver, nuts, legumes, bran, and organ meats. For myself I prefer not to take a chance on not getting enough of this essential mineral and hence take it anyway separate from the copper from other sources. By taking it separately as a 2 mg pill/capsule in addition to a usual 2 mg in the multivitamin tablet then we cap at 4 mg per day plus nutritional sources. We stay well below the 10 mg/day toxic level.

Is there an advantage to taking either the citrate or glycinate form in terms of absorption? It would appear that, at least in animals the glycinate form will provide superior bioavailability of the nutrient, compared to the citrate. That being said I personally take the citrate form as I also take a multivitamin tablet three times weekly, in addition to regular food intake.[5]

References:
[1] SP Russell RM (2012) Chapter 74. Vitamin and Trace Mineral Deficiency and Excess. In: Longo DL, Fauci AS, Kasper DL, Hauser SL, Jameson JL, Loscalzo J, eds. (ed), Harrison's Principles of Internal Medicine. 18th ed. edn., McGraw-Hill, New York, pp http://0-www.accessmedicine.com.library.ccf.org/content.aspx?aID=9099706.
[2] Molina PE. Chapter 6. Adrenal Gland. In: Molina PE, ed. Endocrine Physiology. 3rd ed. New York: McGraw-Hill; 2010. http://0-www.accessmedicine.com.library.ccf.org/content.aspx?aID=6169718. Accessed April 29, 2012.
[3] RA Disilvestro, EL Joseph, W Zhang, AE Raimo, YM Kim (2012) A randomized trial of copper supplementation effects on blood copper enzyme activities and parameters related to cardiovascular health Metabolism Doi:10.1016/j.metabol.2012.02.002.
[4] M Basaki, M Saeb, S Nazifi, HA Shamsaei (2012) Zinc, Copper, Iron, and Chromium Concentrations in Young Patients with Type 2 Diabetes Mellitus Biol Trace Elem Res Doi:10.1007/s12011-012-9360-6.
[5] Ammerman CB, Baker DH. Bioavailability of Nutrients for Animals: Amino Acids, Minerals, Vitamins. Chapter 7. Copper Bioavailability. Pp. 127-156. Link.

8 comments:

  1. What are your feelings on the role copper may play in inflammation and autoimmune diseases, particularly RA? I read your response and did some reading online and it looks like serum copper levels may be significantly higher in rheumatoid patients.
    In your attached chart, it shows a copper deficiency could cause anemia. I have a history of anemia, and also have RA (both improved when on started Humira). After reading your response, I am considering taking a copper supplement. I was hoping you could check on this for me. Your website is wonderful and so interesting.... Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear L M,
    Thank you for your kind words.
    Rheumatoid arthritis by itself can cause anemia, especially when active. I wouldn't think by a copper deficiency mechanism. I also doubt that copper would have a direct anti-inflammatory effect. That being said copper would definitely have an indirect anti-inflammatory action by virtue of it promoting the health of all the energy pathways it is involved in. Also even more importantly, as mentioned, for the enzyme dopamine hydroxylase, it is crucial for the formation of adrenaline which has the important anti-inflammatory characteristic of stimulating the secretion of cortisol. Which is probably one of the most important anti-inflammatory substances produced by the body. So would copper (2-3 mg daily) in nutrition have a positive impact on rheumatoid arthritis. Yes, it should.

    ReplyDelete
  3. To L M:
    I looked into your concern about copper being significantly higher in rheumatoid arthritis (RA) patients. It would seem that copper is part of the inflammatory response instigated by the rheumatoid arthritis pathology as it is high in sera of patients NOT treated with corticosteroids, gold, d-penicillamine.[Serum copper and related variables in rheumatoid arthritis. . http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1000192/. Accessed 5/1/2012 2012.] I would hence theorize that the inflammation of RA triggers the need for supra-normal levels of cortisteroids, part of whose pathway of production involves copper (dopamine hydroxlase and the adrenalin stimulation pathway). This results in higher levels of serum copper in RA untreated with above mentioned agents.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dr. Aldoori,

    My apologies for not replying back sooner. I just finished up with finals this week and am glad they are now over!

    Thank you so much for answering all of my questions about copper. Your in-depth analysis and clarity in which you explained each answer was extremely helpful.

    I didn't realize copper was such an important mineral. I had previously read that it helped in the absorption (or as you say metabolism) of iron. However, I was unaware of other benefits such as its facilitation in energy production, elastin/collagen synthesis and cross-linking, and dopamine hydroxlase (first time I've ever heard this word). I think that taking copper will be especially helpful for me when you spoke of its effects on the precursor noradrenaline and ultimately adrenaline in the body. This is because you have previously indicated to me that my body may be unable to sufficiently produce adrenalin on its own, naturally.

    I am glad that you confirmed my suspicion that the citrate form sounds like the way to go when taking separate from a multivitamin. I actually did already purchase a bottle of the citrate form a month or two back, but was only taking one a day periodically. I realize I should've asked you first before buying and taking, but figured it was safe to take since you recommended it in your above chapter on nutrition. I am surprised though that the glycinate form would appear have an advantage in its absorption over the citrate as the glycinate is synthetically produced while the citrate is derived from corn dextrose fermentation. I always figured that more naturals means of production would allow for easier recognition and absorption by the human body. But I don't have a scientific background so am just forming opinions from what I have read over the years and my own personal intuition.

    I don't mean to be overbearing in asking even more questions, but I was very surprised to find that you are only taking a multivitamin three times a week, similar to what you recommended with the B-complex. Perhaps you could address this in conjunction with my final question. I thought it would make more sense to take these vitamin and mineral supplements every day. And if the dosages were too high then simply splitting them in half and continuing to take them each day. I would think that a daily, steady and lower stream of taking these nutrients and vitamins would result in higher bioavailability and better absorption. I may be completely wrong here, but would be fascinated to find out why.

    Thanks so much again for all of your help!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi M.F.,
    Observations:
    "This is because you have previously indicated to me that my body may be unable to sufficiently produce adrenalin on its own, naturally." Your body will almost always be able to produce its own adrenalin naturally as long as the Pillars of Health are adhered to. The only times I see that not happening is in situations of sickness.

    "an advantage in its absorption over the citrate as the glycinate is synthetically produced while the citrate is derived from corn dextrose fermentation. I always figured that more naturals means of production would allow for easier recognition and absorption by the human body." I wouldn't assume that at all, for example corn as a natural form of starch when on the cob and eaten will be absorbed to a certain degree, but if refined and made into cornbread will be probably be absorbed as glucose almost totally. Hey M.F.- I am impressed with your depth of knowledge, but more so by your style of analyzing.
    "only taking a multivitamin three times a week". The concept here is to cover for possible other insufficiencies as the assumption is a healthy balanced diet having the various nutrients on board. additionally I haven't lent the MVT my full trust yet. Absorption wise.

    "I thought it would make more sense to take these vitamin and mineral supplements every day. And if the dosages were too high then simply splitting them in half and continuing to take them each day. I would think that a daily, steady and lower stream of taking these nutrients and vitamins would result in higher bioavailability and better absorption." You could be right, but I do think the body has tremendous backup systems to absorb nutrients appropriately as the situation demands and per availability. Look at the gallbladder's function for example.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dr. A- I do not know how to enter a question on this blog, so this is the best I could do. Could you please address what you believe about nightshade vegetable allergies- and their possible role in inflammatory process and perhaps even arthrities in certain individuals. I thought this was far fetched until I began reading. This article in particular caught my interest:
    https://www.westonaprice.org/health-topics/food-features/nightshades/
    Thank you

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great Information sharing .. I am very happy to read this article .. thanks for giving us go through info.Fantastic nice. I appreciate this post. koktale

    ReplyDelete